You would think, with the way their platform was used by Russia to interfere with the 2016 election, that Facebook would be on its best behavior and try to serve the American people in whatever way they can…
But you’d be wrong.
They don’t seem to be getting any better — they’re getting worse — and more and more people are leaving the social media platform for greener pastures.
It makes you wonder if Zuckerberg now understands how Tom from MySpace felt when users began to leave in droves…
One can only hope, right?
Losing users is one thing…
Users come and go — and come back again. That’s something that Facebook can deal with. In fact, they expect drop-off — it’s part of the game they’re in.
What they may NOT have a contingency plan for is losing an ENTIRE community — which has just happened, as megafitness company CrossFit has dropped the social media platform due to Facebook’s levels of incompetency.
The Beginning of the End?
It all stemmed from Facebook banning one of CrossFit’s group pages, Banting7DayMealPlan — no warning and no explanation.
After some complaining…
Facebook reinstated the page, saying it was done out of error — but that wasn’t good enough for CrossFit — which saw this latest incident as writing on the proverbial wall.
What’s funny is…
The company doesn’t even really seem mad about the banning — it’s Facebook’s other affronts to not only the CrossFit community as a whole – but it’s treatment of American citizens.
In a released statement, CrossFit absolutely DESTROYS the social media platform, saying, “All activity on CrossFit, Inc.’s Facebook and Instagram accounts was suspended as of May 22, 2019 as CrossFit investigates the circumstances pertaining to Facebook’s deletion of the Banting7DayMealPlan and other well-known public complaints about the social-media company that may adversely impact the security and privacy of our global CrossFit community.”
Not a bad start, but it only gets worse from there, as CrossFit listed Facebook’s faults. From the letter:
1. Facebook collects and aggregates user information and shares it with state and federal authorities, as well as security organizations from other countries.
2. Facebook collaborates with government security agencies on massive citizen surveillance programs such as PRISM.
3. Facebook censors and removes user accounts based on unknown criteria and at the request of third parties including government and foreign government agencies.
4. Facebook collects, aggregates, and sells user information as a matter of business. Its business model allows governments and businesses alike to use its algorithmically conjured advertising categories as sophisticated data-mining and surveillance tools.
5. Facebook’s news feeds are censored and crafted to reflect the political leanings of Facebook’s utopian socialists while remaining vulnerable to misinformation campaigns designed to stir up violence and prejudice.
6. Facebook, as a matter of business and principle, has weak intellectual property protections and is slow to close down IP theft accounts.
7. Facebook has poor security protocols and has been subject to the largest security breaches of user data in history.
8. Facebook is acting in the service of food and beverage industry interests by deleting the accounts of communities that have identified the corrupted nutritional science responsible for unchecked global chronic disease. In this, it follows the practices of Wikipedia and other private platforms that host public content but retain the ability to remove or silence—without the opportunity for real debate or appeal—information and perspectives outside a narrow scope of belief or thought. In this case, the approved perspective has resulted in the deaths of millions through preventable diseases. Facebook is thus complicit in the global chronic disease crisis.
For these reasons, CrossFit, Inc. has placed Facebook and its associated properties under review and will no longer support or use Facebook’s services until further notice.”
And THAT is how you quit a social media platform!
Why This Could Be BAD for FB
And the thing is, CrossFit is BIG, with MILLIONS of members worldwide…
And they’re almost CULT-like.
If they tell their members to drink water mixed with gravel — a lot of them would be digging up the streets.
So this could potentially be a BIG problem for Facebook.
Let’s hope it is…
And they see the error of their left-leaning ways.
It may be the only thing that reinstates fairness on their platform…
“I am a person who is unhappy with things as they stand. We cannot accept the world as it is. Each day we should wake up foaming at the mouth because of the injustice of things.” ― Hugo Claus