Twitter’s controversial and borderline-illegal move to censor the president last week triggered a domino effect causing other social media outlets to start caving to similar social pressure too. Cancel culture has turned its attention against big tech companies in the name of racial justice, and it’s striking with unexpected ferocity. This time, in addition to going after the little guys who oppose the radical Left’s agenda publicly on social media, the mob is now going after the social media companies themselves.
On Wednesday, popular social media outlet Snapchat announced they will no longer promote President Trump’s account in the Discover section of the app.
The social media mogul told Axios, “We will not amplify voices who incite racial violence and injustice by giving them free promotion on Discover. Racial violence and injustice have no place in our society, and we stand together with all who seek peace, love, equality, and justice in America.”
The company’s decision came after Twitter first censored the president’s remarks about voter fraud, followed by another censoring of his widely-criticized comment “When the looting starts, the shooting starts!”
Trump’s comments sparked intense outrage from Black Lives Matter protestors, celebrities, and the media. Twitter’s move caused pressure to mount on Facebook to also censor President Trump, and naturally, Snapchat was next in line.
Effectively, Snapchat’s decision means that the president’s account will still be “verified” and accessible to the public, but it will no longer be a promoted account on the home page.
But here’s the problem: The social media platform also provides a section on the app that functions like a news outlet. So, Snapchat’s recent actions are unacceptable considering that 62% of American adults get their news from social media. A study from Pew Research Center also indicates 17% of Snapchat users get news from the site. Surely this number has only surged over the past four years. Removing anything relating to Trump’s account from this section also removes it from public attention.
Now, the platform is basically choosing what is of public interest and what is not. Users will not be exposed to what the president is saying if they are not specifically looking for it. Devaluing the president’s message could have dangerous implications for Snapchat users, especially during a time of national crisis like the one in which we find ourselves.
If Trump uses social media to communicate his message to the people, how is that message going to be heard if companies like Twitter, Snapchat, and possibly even Facebook suppress it?
It is vital that Americans, especially the youth, see what the President is saying, especially if his statements are communicating that the military is being deployed in certain areas domestically. In my opinion, it is the social media companies—which basically act like news outlets—that have a responsibility to promote the president’s account in the interest of public safety and knowledge. They don’t need to take a stance on what he says, or they could even condemn it, but removing it completely stops users from making their own decisions.
Trump’s campaign manager, Brad Parscale, fought back against Snapchat’s action in a statement on Wednesday. Parscale issued a statement accusing Snapchat of attempting to rig the presidential election by “illegally using their corporate funding to promote Joe Biden and suppress President Trump.” He continued to slam “radical” Spiegel’s move stating he “would rather promote extreme left violent riot videos and encourage their users to destroy America than share the positive words of unity, justice, and law and order from our President.”
The interest of making sure all Americans are well-informed should take priority over Snapchat’s “racial injustice” accusation against Trump. Limiting the president’s voice on the platform is unfair to Snapchat’s users in that they are not being given the chance to be informed, especially during an election year. And that, I think, was probably Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel’s goal all along. But the Left doesn’t play fair. For now, we must continue to work to raise awareness for the war against conservatives on social media. Hopefully AG Barr and the President follow through on last week’s Executive Order, which aims to end the big tech practice of censoring messages they don’t agree with.
Until that happens, it’s left to us to track down the truth for ourselves, regardless of what online platforms would have you believe.