The ratings for most televised sports have been abysmal lately. On the surface, it seems like the ratings should be higher, not lower, given that sports were suspended for several months due to the coronavirus. However, the ratings for major sporting events are down dramatically. Why?
The major reason is likely due to the prevalence of political messaging and woke social justice causes during sporting broadcasts. Turns out people just want to watch sports without all the political pandering. Who would have thought?
Legendary NFL quarterback Brett Favre made this same observation recently in an interview he conducted with President Trump on Sinclair Broadcasting.
The Daily Wire reported, “‘The NBA and the NFL are struggling with lower ratings as fans clearly do not want political messaging mixed with their sports, so how should the leagues support and promote an anti-racism position without becoming political and alienating fans?’ Favre asked.
Trump responded to Favre by saying that people want sports to remain about sports only. Most people use sports to escape from politics and they do not want those political or social justice issues distracting from the games, especially if the fans disagree with the stances of the participants.
‘People don’t want to see all of the politics. They’ve got enough politics with me and with everybody else, and they don’t want to see it with football and sports on Sunday or whenever they happen to be watching,’ Trump said. ‘I think it’s had a huge impact on sports, a huge negative impact on sports. I think the football ought to get back to football and basketball to basketball and let politics remain separate.’”
He is one hundred percent correct. As a lifelong sports fan, I always relished watching a ball game to get my mind off of politics and the troubles of the world. Sadly, we are no longer allowed to watch sports any longer without having a social justice message shoved down our throats. This is all the Left’s fault. They have taken an axe to anything that is fun, like sports, movies, music, and even casual dining.
Sports used to be a place where you could play/root for the same team as a political opponent. Not anymore. Americans are increasingly turning away from watching games. Bret Favre correctly diagnosed the reasons why. Now if only the woke sports leagues will get their acts together and get back to doing what they do best. Simply put, shut up about politics, and play ball.
USA Today reported the following dismal ratings from some of the major sports:
- Ratings for the Stanley Cup Finals were down 61% from last year, averaging 2.1 million viewers.
- The final round of the U.S. Open golf tournament had 3.2 million viewers, by far the fewest going back more than 30 years.
- The U.S. Open tennis tournament viewership fell sharply on ESPN, down 45% from the year before. The French Open is down 57% so far on NBC.
- The Kentucky Derby, which normally gets around 15 million viewers, only had 9.3 million at its rescheduled slot in September.
- Even the NFL, which has had some bright spots in the ratings thus far and seems to be holding steady, has had trouble getting viewers in certain windows like Thursday night, which has recorded consecutive lows for prime-time games.
There is an easy solution to fixing the ratings decline: just play the sport. It’s that simple.