When people think of Australia, they think of kangaroos, boomerangs, and freedom.
But while, the former two things still exist in the Land Down Under, the latter no longer exists.
Instead of being a land of liberty, Australia looks like the totalitarian state of Oceana from George Orwell’s 1984.
It is so bad in Australia that Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is questioning whether the United States should reconsider its alliance with the Australians.
DeSantis told a boat convention in Tampa the following:
“In Australia right now, after a year and a half, they’re still enforcing lockdowns by the military…Is Australia freer than communist China right now?
The fact that’s even a question tells you something has gone dramatically off the rails.”
DeSantis has a valid point: Australia is enforcing tyrannical measures on their citizens in parts of the country.
The Aussie government has deployed the military into the streets of Sydney and Brisbane—the countries first and third most populous cities.
The following are restrictions in Sydney, according to the NSW government website
- Only one person can leave the house to get food per day.
- Browsing in shops is not allowed.
- Must register for travel to leave Sydney.
- Mandatory work from home where possible.
- Mandatory face masks.
- Allowed to exercise within 5 km of home.
- 5-person limit on outdoor activities for vaccinated people.
- Unvaccinated can exercise outside with one other person.
- Cannot have visitors to home unless for specific reasons like childcare or an emergency.
- If you live alone, you’re permitted one “nominated visitor” who can visit you in your home.
- You cannot share cars with people you don’t live with except for specific reasons, like an emergency.
- Must carry proof of name and address if you have left your home and present it to police.
- Must have proof of vaccination and show it to police.
- Open businesses use mandatory check-ins, often with QR codes.
According to ABT.net, Those in home-based quarantine will need to download an app, developed by the South Australian Government, to prove they are staying home while required to.
People wanting to return to South Australia and home quarantine will have to apply to SA Health.
They will have to prove they have a place to isolate during their quarantine period and must also be fully vaccinated.
Those who are approved will have to download the South Australian Government home quarantine app, which uses geo-location and facial recognition software to track those in quarantine.
The app will contact people at random asking them to provide proof of their location within 15 minutes.
We don’t tell them how often or when, on a random basis they have to reply within 15 minutes,” Mr. Marshall [governor of South Australian Government] said.
If a person cannot successfully verify their location or identity when requested, SA Health will notify SA Police who will conduct an in-person check on the person in quarantine.
People will still be required to quarantine for 14 days.
If that isn’t bad enough, a governor in another tweeted that her state would be building COVID prisons…er, I mean “quarantine camps” for those infected.
“A dedicated regional quarantine facility will be built at Wellcamp Airport near Toowoomba. As we contend with the dangerous Delta variant, we need fit-for-purpose quarantine facilities.
That’s why we’ve taken decisive action to build this new 1000-bed, dedicated facility under a joint agreement between the Palaszczuk Government and the landowner @Wagner_Corp. Wagner Corporation expects the first stage of the facility to be delivered for use by the end of 2021.”
Once again, Governor DeSantis is right and a defender of individual liberty.